Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Journey Begins

I received a text book from my best friend, a recently graduated teacher. It was titled "Teaching: Challenges & Dilemmas". First thoughts - at 382 pages, it doesn't seem nearly long enough.... Really! Where do you start? How do you document all of the dilemmas and challenges that you will face as a teacher, and how do you propose to help me solve them by writing a BOOK??!! Yes, I was nervous. With my university course due to begin in a matter of days - I was beginning to wonder if I was in over my head.

I had to admit: the excitement of the challenge ahead outweighed the apprehension. But I knew I was in for a big year. ONE YEAR - that's how long you're telling me you need to teach me the skills to send me out into the world as a teacher. An unsupervised, possibly unsupported, inexperienced TEACHER.  My course was an online post-graduate diploma course. The course came highly recommended, was delivered in a very flexible and modern online mode, all the way from my home country of Australia. Was I ready for the challenge? I certainly hoped so.

My task: to become a passionate, inspired, creative, effective and (possibly) engaging primary school teacher. Why a primary school teacher? Well.... those big ones just have far too much attitude! But seriously - the thought of inspiring children to pick up a book, or write a poem for someone? Too big, too important - this is something I feel that I can do - and well. Finally, an epiphany! A job that I can love and pour my heart into. Something worth doing well.

As I progressed through my studies, I began to develop my own philosophy of teaching. This was a lightbulb moment, of that there is no doubt. Before I began - I didn't even know what pedagogy meant. Now I am forming opinions on theories and designing learning sequences to match my theory of how children should be educated! I had come a long way...

Some very wise, generous and knowledgeable people at the University of Southern Queensland helped me greatly in these initial steps towards my dream career. Where do I find myself now? In the initial stages of a burgeoning teaching future.... 

WHAT AM I FEELING: 
  • Frustration
  • Excitement
  • Inspiration
  • Tiredness (!)
  • Underappreciated
  • Over appreciated  (depends on the day really)
  • Challenged
WHAT AM I DOING:
  • Job hunting
  • Supply (relief) teaching
  • Upskilling (see... errrr.... this blog...)
  • Considering more study
  • Banging my head against the brick wall that is HK Teachers Reg...
  • Emailing people
  • Updating my resume on an almost daily basis
  • Spending too much time on the computer.. (see job hunting, upskilling etc)
  • Trying to define my "highly employable" point of difference
  • Drinking copious amounts of herbal tea...

Welcome to the start of my journey. I hope that I can take you along with me as I begin a long and winding road... The beginnings of my lifelong learning trail have already been littered with experiences that have made me laugh and cry. Children are the absolute light and soul of the earth - they never fail to surprise me.

Come and share....... thanks for stopping by

Team Future

No comments:

Post a Comment